Another post I am moving over here; August 25, 2011...
......I just re-read my note from a couple years ago titled, "Lost meaning of christianity" and I was shocked I wrote that at 5am on no sleep. It has been a few years since that night, and many things have changed along with many experiences I have had.
The general problem I was ranting about is still so heavily evident in today's culture, but it is not the problem I should have been targetting, though things need to be brought into the light, a solution needs to be presented to cause change. Over the past year I have witnessed one of the biggest changes in one of my friends lives, in his own words he said he "was one of those only Sunday morning Christians".
I have known him for many years and in my mind he was just "that guy" and I went on with our friendship, someday he will share his testimony and it will change lives, so I will save that for him, but what I will say, he showed me how one guy can completely turn his life around for Christ when he takes the first couple steps... Over the past year I experienced a real relationship with someone, not to knock on the other girls but let's be serious, I didn't take you seriously...anyways what I learned was that a "Christian man" can go into a relationship with standards and goals, and come out of it wondering how he ended up in Timbuktu of spirituality...
This is nothing against her but rather a knock on how not spiritually sound I was going in. After the relationship I started to understand the higher calling and greater meaning to being a "Man of God" and how I was acting like a middle schooler.. I had lost the meaning of CHRISTianity and traded it for mask and some Calvinism wikipedia articles.. I had to use the example of my friends change to guide mine......
I needed to take a couple steps and create a winning situation for my spirit, so me and my roommates created rules for our house and we added a spiritual leader to help us along the path. What he has taught me is that Christianity can be seen as a spiral staircase with a pole running directly through the stairs (so like the stairs spiral around and everytime you go up and around in a circle you hit the pole....just ask me about it sometime) and you can always be stepping up to God or down to sin. Moving either way causes you to hit the pole and have to face your demons, whether it be drinking, sex, or stealing your roommates cereal.
When you hit that pole you can either fall to it or step past it. The reason for the illustration is to show you that there will never be a day you arent tempted or tested, but how you face it will shape your relationship to God. Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
So as a Christian we have this morsel of goodness to remind us that God is always there to save us, and incase we fall, Jesus has already redeemed us.. So yeah there is still a problem with "Sunday Christians" but there is also a hunger from some of them to find Christ in there lives, so instead of wallowing around wondering why you can't "hear God" you need to step out of the darkness.
I know for me I hear grasshoppers when I go to God from the darkness I find myself in, so I always remember to try and seek forgiveness before I go looking for His presence.. and to assist that I discovered the smartest thing I ever did spiritually was add a couple spiritual leaders to my life, both whom (who can tell me if that whom is correct?) are always there to correct me and challenge me in my walk with Christ.
This is written as a "Well this worked for me" article not a "Do this" commandment in order to give an example of how Christ is so awesome when you believe in Him and strive to experience His presence in your life, He changes your heart and your actions follow...
I mean if you are going to call yourself a Christian why not get the positives that come with it? Why not experience fellowship which glorifies God?....but most importantly why stay luke warm? "Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me." - Jesus
No comments:
Post a Comment